What do Prosthetist and Orthotist do?
The prosthesis is a device that replaces a missing body part. Prosthetist design and fit artificial limbs to replace the lost through elimination or limbs missing from birth. To designs and to fit the artificial limbs, a brace for body deformities or disorders needs the careful examination. The one who is specialized in making and fitting the artificial limbs in the designated area is called as a Prosthetist. And on the other hand, the one who specializes in making and fitting orthopedic braces in the designated area is known as an Orthotist.
An orthotist is referred for fitting the body part in the existing place. Orthotist designs the braces, calipers, neck collars and splints. These are used for supporting the limbs or the spine to relieve pain it also prevents the patient from the aid movement or prevents physical conditions getting worse.
Prosthetist and orthotist work for the patient recovering from rheumatoid arthritis or diabetes.
Responsibilities and duties of Prosthetist and orthotist:
- The duty is to take the proper measurements by using the computer models to produce a design of the prostheses or orthoses. It further provides the well-finished design to a technician, who produces the final product. Proper care with routine checkups to know how they are recovering from their device.
- To evaluate and interview the patients to determine their requirements and providing them the proper measures in order to design and fit medical devices.
- They further take a mold of the part that has to be recovered from the patient’s body and then fit it with a brace or artificial limb. Selection of materials that are to be used in the process of the orthotic or prosthetic device.
- To design the orthopedic and prosthetic devices which are based on physician prescriptions? Then they fit, test, and adjust the devices on patients.
- They research new ideas to design or for the construction of orthopedic and prosthetic devices. They display and explain the orthopedic and prosthetic appliances to health care workers. The main task is to train and supervise orthopedic and prosthetic assistants and technicians, and other staff. Updating of various new technologies is required this can be done by attending conferences and seminars.
Most work is within the offices only where they can meet with the patients by making proper appointments, then the next task is to make the design of orthotic and prosthetic devices. Prosthetist and orthotist can work in small offices, private offices or in larger facilities, and sometimes they work in the shops also where the orthotics and prosthetics are made. Most orthotist and Prosthetist can also work for full time. Orthotist and Prosthetist are also known as O&P professionals. Their main task is to design medical supportive devices and to measure them so as it can be fitted easily. This device includes the braces and other medical or surgical devices. Artificial limbs include (arms, hands, legs, and feet).
How to become a Prosthetist and orthotist?
Education requirement: the candidate must be 10+2 pass in following subject’s physics, chemistry and biology with at least 50% marks.
After that, the candidate is eligible to join the diploma course or the bachelor degree in the preferred course.
The various steps involve are:
After the completion of senior school examination, the candidate can move for the bachelor’s degree entrance test which is totally based on the informative subjects and general knowledge.
These exams are held in May/June and the result is declared in June/July.
After the completion of degree process which is of 4 and ½ year. The candidate has to perform the internship program of 6 months. This can be done by professionals or in any reputed clinic.
The starting salary of the candidate is 15,000 to 20,000 per month. After the completion of the internship if the candidate can work in the private or the government sector then the above salary is expected. And after the experience, it can rise. Or working as a freelance can even earn more.
Communication skills: Orthotist and Prosthetist must have the attractive or the good communication skills. They must have the ability to understand the problem of a patient and must be able to communicate effectively with the technicians. They must have proper knowledge so that they can further explain the patient about the devices.
Organizational skills: if the candidate wants to open his own business or want to work in private offices then this skill is very much important. Strong organizational skill further includes the good recordkeeping which is further used for both medical and business settings.
Problem-solving skill: they must be eligible in such a way so that evaluate or examine their patient carefully. Must be able to solve the problem of their patient so that they can trust in them.
As the professional certification is needed for all states. As there is a large growth in this field. After the experience, the one can open his own clinic. And the candidate must keep himself update by joining proper conferences. The candidate can also work as the technician or as an assistant under the reputed professional Prosthetist and orthotist. Or can go for the field of teaching in college or university.